Tuesday, August 5, 2014

A new quilt design... raccoon baby quilt.

 I just finished up piecing the top to a raccoon baby quilt that I will pass on to Mammy to quilt this weekend. I started this little guy around July 30th and with kids and all I finally got him all pieced.

This is the beginning of him.
 
 
As you can tell its' a rough beginning (picture taken with my iphone at about 11pm).
What I have done is placed my backing fabric down face up (it's the off white fabric with the black, blue and green hash marks). I place it down so I can see how big I need to make the quilt top and also to remember the colors I want to play off of.
 Then I placed the biggest piece of yellow I had down (the color is a really lovely mustard and less sunshiney). Then I cut a rough off white oval. I used some gray, white and black triangles and made a raccoon silhouette. The triangles have 2 long sides and 1 short side I think they are about 5 inches tall.
I wanted to pull in the blue from the backing piece so I was working with adding a blue scarf and that green piece was a perfect match and I wanted to work that in as well.
 
 
And now you can see it close up. He kinda has a that deer-in-the headlights look and I think that is appropriate since the frame is kinda like its a weird portrait situation. I fooled with the scarf quite a bit and I'm a little disappointed with how low it sits on him and how I attached it; on the next one I might do better or worse (who knows?). But isn't that the fun of all of this. Either way that scarf isn't going anywhere and he is still cute. right?
 
 
The final pre-quilted picture. I ended up adding a black ~5 inch border all around. I think he is adorable! We shall see what Mammy the quilter thinks.
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment